Tweed Climate Action Now (Tweed CAN) was created by residents of the Tweed Shire, in the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales, Australia in 2006.
We aim to reduce greenhouse emissions and prepare the community through local actions like:
- Promoting solar energy and community grids
- Information stalls at markets and events
- Lobbying local council for ethical investment
- Analysing local climate data and model projections
- Encouraging household and community preparation
- Outing Banks that finance fossil fuels.
- Protesting against risky and unnecessary coal seam gas
- Writing articles for local newspapers and magazines
- Promoting bicycle trails, public transport and car pooling.
We try to have fun while doing something to fight the complacency and vested interest that may rob us of a future because of irreversible climate destabilisation.
Margaret Mead once said “Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.”
Follow us on Facebook
Greg Reid is the current coordinator for the group.